Letters to SAGE
Celebrate this Pride season by honoring LGBT elder pioneers!
You are invited to write letters to SAGE’s elder residents of NYC’s first and largest LGBT-welcoming, affordable elder housing developments: Stonewall House in Brooklyn and Crotona Pride House in the Bronx.
It’s simple: write two cards and mail one to Brooklyn and one to the Bronx, and we’ll display them in the windows and common areas of both buildings for all to enjoy. This Pride season, let’s showcase the strength of our communities by sharing heartfelt messages of connection.
1. Write positive messages of connection and care.
2. Write in large, dark, and legible letters (some people have a hard time reading small print).
3. Feel free to decorate your note with drawings, stickers, colorful letters, etc.
4. Decorate and write all on the same side of the paper, as only one side will be visible when displayed on a wall or window.
5. Keep the size of your letter between the size of a postcard or an 8×11 piece of paper.
Your donation will provide resources for life-saving resources for LGBT older people in New York City and across the US, who have been particularly impacted during the past year.
Please Do Not:
1. Please skip the glitter – although fun and pretty, glitter can get messy.
2. Please do not include your personal details or religious messages – You want to make the letter general enough so anyone can read and enjoy it.
3. Please refrain from using the word “queer” to refer to the LGBT community, as many of our elders find it to be painful or offensive. At SAGE we use the acronym “LGBT” to respect their experiences.
Mail your letters to the following addresses (if possible, send a letter to each):
Letters to SAGE Letters to SAGE
Attn: Development Crotona Pride House
305 7th Ave, 15th FL 1784 Prospect Ave
New York, NY 10001 Bronx, NY 10457
Still need some more direction? Here are some ideas and tips:
- Write about your favorite Pride memory
- Thank our pioneers for their work paving the way for LGBT equality
- Involve the kids in your life! Include a bright drawing from the young people close to you
- Are you multi-lingual? Write in multiple languages! (Particularly Spanish, Mandarin and/or Cantonese)
For Corporate Groups:
Many employee resource groups (ERGs) enjoy hosting a virtual happy hour with meaningful activity. You are invited to share this activity with your employee group as a way to give back to the LGBT community this Pride season and beyond! Please provide the instructions above and the materials below. SAGE encourages companies to make a donation in honor of this collaboration! Feel free to share pictures of your process on social media (don’t forget to use the hashtags #SAGEStrong and #LettersToSAGE, and tag us @SAGEUSA!).
Please either provide the following or instruct employees to bring their own:
- 2 pieces of paper – between the size of a postcard and an 8×11 piece of paper
- 2 Envelopes
- 2 Stamps
- Writing utensils: pens/markers/colored pencils
- Other materials for decorations: stickers, collage materials, etc. (no glitter, please)
For School Groups, Friend Groups, and Others:
SAGE welcomes letters from people of all ages and we invite you to make and mail Letters to SAGE with your friends, family, and communities. You are welcome to use any of the instructions above to host a virtual or other COVID-safe letter-writing party. Share your process on social media with the hashtags #SAGEStrong and #LettersToSAGE (and don’t forget to tag @SAGEUSA!).
The Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and Surgeon General have stated there is no evidence that Covid-19 is being transferred through the mail. This is an opportunity to connect with our LGBT pioneers (who have experienced an increase of isolation during the pandemic) while maintaining social distance.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.