Letters to SAGE
Celebrate our LGBTQ+ elder pioneers with Letters to SAGE!
SAGE welcomes you and/or your company to celebrate our LGBTQ+ elder pioneers with Letters to SAGE.
It’s simple: write two cards, mail one to Brooklyn and one to the Bronx, and we’ll display them in the windows and common areas of both buildings for all to enjoy. Let’s showcase the strength of our communities by sharing heartfelt messages of connection.
1. Write positive messages of connection and care.
2. Write in large, dark, and legible letters (some people have a hard time reading small print).
3. Feel free to decorate your note with drawings, stickers, colorful letters, etc.
4. Decorate and write all on the same side of the paper, as only one side will be visible when displayed on a wall or window.
5. Keep the size of your letter between the size of a postcard or an 8×11 piece of paper.
Your donation will provide resources for life-saving resources for LGBTQ+ elders in New York City and across the US, who have been particularly impacted during the past year.
Please Do Not:
1. Please skip the glitter – although fun and pretty, glitter can get messy.
2. Please do not include your personal details or religious messages – you want to make the letter general enough so anyone can read and enjoy it.
3. Please refrain from using the word “queer” to refer to the LGBTQ+ community, as many of our elders find it to be painful or offensive. At SAGE we use the acronym “LGBTQ+” to respect their experiences.
Please mail your letters to:
Letters to SAGE Letters to SAGE
Crotona Pride House Stonewall Center
1784 Prospect Ave 271 Myrtle Avenue
Bronx, NY 10457 Brooklyn, NY 11201
If you are participating in Letters to SAGE as a group, we ask that you bundle your letters in one package to each location. Please also use a tracking service and share the tracking number with firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still need some more direction? Here are some ideas and tips:
- Write about what SAGE’s mission means to you and how you refuse to be invisible.
- Thank our pioneers for their work paving the way for LGBTQ+ equality
- Involve the kids in your life! Include a bright drawing from the young people close to you
- Are you multi-lingual? Write in multiple languages! (Particularly Spanish, Mandarin and/or Cantonese)
For Corporate Groups:
Many employee resource groups (ERGs) enjoy hosting a virtual happy hour with meaningful activity. You are invited to share this activity with your employee group as a way to give back to the LGBTQ+ community!! Please provide the instructions above and the materials below. SAGE encourages companies to make a donation in honor of this collaboration! Feel free to share pictures of your process on social media (don’t forget to use the hashtags #RefuseToBeInvisible or #LettersToSAGE, and tag us @SAGEUSA!).
Please either provide the following or instruct employees to bring their own:
- 2 pieces of paper – between the size of a postcard and an 8×11 piece of paper
- 2 Envelopes
- 2 Stamps
- Writing utensils: pens/markers/colored pencils
- Other materials for decorations: stickers, collage materials, etc. (no glitter, please)
For School Groups, Friend Groups, and Others:
SAGE welcomes letters from people of all ages and we invite you to make and mail Letters to SAGE with your friends, family, and communities. You are welcome to use any of the instructions above to host a virtual or other COVID-safe letter-writing party. Share your process on social media with the hashtags #RefuseToBeInvisible and #LettersToSAGE (and don’t forget to tag @SAGEUSA!).
The Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and Surgeon General have stated there is no evidence that Covid-19 is being transferred through the mail. This is an opportunity to connect with our LGBTQ+ pioneers (who have experienced an increase of isolation during the pandemic) in a way that keeps everyone safe.
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.