In addition to the donation opportunities provided by our Investors Circle, National Leadership Council, Corporate Partnership, Legacy Giving, and Membership programs, you can support SAGE’s work with and on behalf of LGBT older people in several other ways.
Transferring stocks or other securities to SAGE is a fantastic way to both give to SAGE and get a tax deduction. You receive a charitable deduction for the full market value of the securities and you don’t pay capital gains tax on the amount you contribute.
Simply direct your broker in writing to make a transfer of stock directly into SAGE’s account. The letter you send to your broker should include the following information:
- The name of the stock and number of shares you want to transfer to SAGE
- The account number from which you are transferring the stock
- The official name of SAGE’s account: Services & Advocacy for GLBT Elders, Inc.
- SAGE’s account number at our broker, Oppenheimer & Co. Inc.: A75-4718300-1-672 Our broker’s Depository Trust Company (DTC) number: 0571
SAGE’s brokers at Oppenheimer are Craig Hutchison and Rhona Fiore. They can be reached at 1-800-522-7857.
We kindly request that you let us know if you decide to donate stock to SAGE. Email us or call 212-741-2247.
Contribute your required IRA distribution
At age 70½, you must begin taking money from your IRA, and every distribution includes some taxable income. If you don’t need the distribution, you can avoid the tax that was due—and help SAGE in the process. As long as you are 70½ on the date of distribution, you need only:
- Decide on the amount—make sure it is at least the amount you’re required to withdraw.
- Fill out a distribution form with your IRA custodian requesting that the check be made payable directly to SAGE.
We are happy to help with this process! Email us or call 212-741-2247.
Fundraise on Facebook
Facebook allows for several ways to donate to LGBT charities, including SAGE:
- Select Fundraisers, then “Raise Money for a Nonprofit Organization.” Search for “Services & Advocacy For Gay Lesbian Bisexual & Transgender Elders Inc. (Sage).”
- Add a Donate button to a Facebook post by selecting “Support Nonprofit” in your status, then searching for “Services & Advocacy For Gay Lesbian Bisexual & Transgender Elders Inc. (Sage).”
- Donate directly from SAGE’s Facebook page by selecting the blue Donate button.
Make a donation in honor, memorial, or tribute
You can make an honor, memorial, or tribute gift online or by mail. We will send a notification (excluding the dollar amount of your gift) to the person of your choosing and send you an acknowledgment letter for tax purposes.
To submit your donation online:
- Go to our Give page
- In the field “If this is a gift in honor or memory of someone, please add their name(s) here,” enter the name of the person you’d like to honor.
If you’d rather submit by mail:
- Download, print, and complete our Donate form
- Mail it to SAGE at 305 7th Avenue, c/o Development Office, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10001
Donate on Crowdrise
Raise money for SAGE by creating a fundraiser page and sharing it with friends. You can start donating in honor of yourself, your family, or your friends, or your workplace.
Donate on AmazonSmile
Go to AmazonSmile and search for “Services & Advocacy For Gay Lesbian Bisexual & Transgender Elders Inc. (Sage).” Select our organization, then shop as you normally would. As long as you start your Amazon shopping at smile.amazon.com, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible purchases to SAGE.
Double or triple your impact with a corporate match
Hundreds of companies offer employer-matching programs. Check with your Human Resources department to see whether your company matches charitable gifts. Find out more about SAGE’s corporate volunteer program.
Attend a SAGE event
Sponsor or attend an upcoming SAGE event. SAGE fundraisers occur throughout the year and across the country.
Donate through the Combined Federal Campaign
If you are a federal employee, you are eligible to donate to SAGE through the Combined Federal Campaign:
- Go to the Office of Personnel Management’s Campaign Locator page
- Enter the Campaign Code 42976
- Select “Submit Code”
Download, print, and mail
It’s easy to donate to SAGE by downloading, printing, and completing our form, then mailing it to us. Send it to SAGE at 305 7th Avenue, c/o Development Office, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10001.