Creating Age-Friendly LGBT Centers
SAGE’s National Resource Center on LGBT Aging heard from LGBT centers across the country that they needed some practical tips on ways that they could make their centers and services available, accessible and welcoming to older adults. With that, we published the Age-Friendly Inclusive Services guide. With this tool, we provide a turnkey guide to LGBT organizations on how to open and welcome older adults to their communities and programs. We leveraged our core competency training curriculum for LGBT centers and also interviewed LGBT providers across the country on how they have successfully welcomed older adults into their settings. We added relevant quotes to the guide for credibility and an “on-the-ground” perspective.
Here are some of the features of this guide:
- A historical timeline to understand how old someone born in the 1930s was when important events happened
- Tips on how to use inclusive language/terms for older adults
- Programming, marketing and outreach suggestions to reach older adults
- Further resources and organizations dedicated to LGBT older adult services
- A glossary of terms from the aging field
Hundreds of copies have been downloaded and requested to date. Get your free copy now!