SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBT older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBT older people, and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBT organizations.
Reports to: Director of Resident Services, NYC Housing
Status: Full-time / Nonexempt
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide light-touch case management, information, referrals, and advocacy to older adults; perform intakes/assessments under the review of a Licensed Social Worker home visits and provide case management to SAGE constituents
- Conduct of benefit and entitlement eligibility assessments, and assist clients with public benefits applications and other entitlement programs and opportunities
- Conduct group workshops/programs/support groups as needed
- Collect and enter all participant and service unit data in database(s) thoroughly and timely, in accord with organizational policies and regulatory mandates
- Perform tabling and other outreach at neighborhood events
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned
- Assessing older adult needs and developing care plan strategies
- Providing support and resources, good relationships with external providers, and developing linkages to community resources
- Research and referrals based on the care plan goals
- Assisting with benefits such as Access A Ride or Visiting Nurse services, Meals on Wheels
- Responding to crisis situations, developing follow up report details and recommendations
- Communicating with family members and other stakeholders involved in the older adults’ care plan services
- BA or work experience in the human services field, job role and/or population served
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and dependable – this position requires some flexibility around scheduling; some evening or occasional weekend hours may be required
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to organize files, schedules, dates and information
- Self-directed and able to work with light supervision
- Computer-literate, with knowledge of Microsoft Office and ability to learn other pertinent software systems
- Familiarity with LGBT aging issues and cultural and linguistic competency regarding age, ability, sexuality, gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, class and other characteristics that affect the lives of diverse older adults
- Familiarity with social and aging services networks and supports
- Ability to speak or write in Spanish
Position based at Crotona Pride House located in Crotona Park, Bronx; travel between the above and other locations within the metropolitan area required, in accordance with Participants’ needs and program necessity.
Full-time, 35 hours/week; generally, 8:30 – 4:30 Monday – Friday, with schedule adjustments as needed per program necessity
Competitive salary; SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to Careers@sageusa.org with “Tenant Coordinator- Crotona Pride House” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.