Position Title: SAGEVets Program Manager
Department: Care Management
Schedule: Full-time, 35 hours/week, Monday – Friday. Occasional schedule adjustments may also be necessary, per program necessity.
SAGEVets is a statewide program for LGBTQ+ veterans age 50 and older, offering outreach and education to providers and individuals throughout New York State and screening for VA benefits including medical, employment, pension, and education. The program provides “Know Your Rights” materials for LGBTQ+ veterans, as well as referrals to legal counsel for discharge upgrades specific to sexual orientation, and access to health care and service-related disability benefits. This position is responsible for all activities of the SAGEVets Program, including outreach, presentation, networking, program production, intake, case management, and referral, and is an integral part of the Care Management team. This position requires a self-starter with significant people skills as well as organizational skills, to create and build relationships, create systems, and meet the program’s deliverables. Applicants with a knowledge of aging, LGBTQ+ communities, and VA systems strongly desired. Strong preference for a veteran of US military service. This position must take responsibility for learning about the history and experiences of older LGBTQ+ people in the military and for incorporating that information into programs and presentations. The job requires much local travel and some travel around the state.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing outreach to reach NYC and NYS LGBTQ+ vets over age 50
- Presenting about SAGEVets to various audiences, including elected officials, seniors, veterans, service providers, and LGBTQ+ communities
- Meeting with providers, elected officials, and other potential community partners to educate them about SAGEVets and find ways to collaborate to get the word out and produce programs
- Engaging in political advocacy and networking to increase community awareness of LGBTQ+ veterans and their needs
- Performing intakes and case management duties for veterans
- Promoting and celebrating the military service experience of LGBTQ+ older veterans
- Working in partnership with internal and external partners to create programs for older LGBTQ+ vets or opportunities where education about the SAGEVets Program can take place, and the military contributions of older LGBTQ+ vets can be acknowledged
- Creating promotional materials for SAGEVets programs
- Potentially supervising additional team members as the program expands
- Tracking contacts and outreach efforts
- Other duties as requested
- Knowledge of US military service, history, and/or VA systems
- Experience working with older adults
- Knowledge and/or experience working in LGBTQ+ communities
- Case management experience
- Computer skills (Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher, etc)
- Networking & presentation skills
- Lots of local travel via public transportation
- Travel to locations around New York State, with overnight stays, sometimes required
- Irregular hours, with some evenings and weekends required with advance notice, particularly during Pride season but other times as well.
- Ability to create and keep own schedule, and record and track work accurately
- BA or BSW required or comparable work experience
- LGBTQ+ veteran of active US military service strongly desired
Competitive salary; SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please click here to begin the application process. Contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.