The Human Resources (HR) Generalist facilitates key HR functions and performs day-to-day operations, in accordance with SAGE policy and internal processes. Adept at working in a fast-paced mission-driven environment, the HR Generalist is a master multitasker with the ability to manage multiple HR functions while maintaining accuracy, compliance, and confidentiality. The HR Generalist will run all facets of the functions of the Human Resource (HR) department. The HR Generalist will maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
Reports to: Senior Director of Human Resources
Position Status: Full-time / Exempt / Salaried
Location: SAGE National Headquarters in Midtown Manhattan
Schedule: A minimum of 35 hours/week, Monday – Friday, 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM; schedule subject to adjustment per business necessity
Duties and Responsibilities
Human Resources Operations
- Primary point of contact for HR queries sent to the HR mailbox.
- Responds to employee and external inquiries, answering directly or referring to proper resourceas appropriate
- Maintains all transactional processes and forms.
- Processes invoices and monitors for accuracy.
- Reconciles departmental credit card expenses on a monthly basis.
- Handles all scheduling for HR department.
- Prepares, copies, mails, scans, and emails documents; performs other administrative support functions.
- Manages the organizational calendar including but not limited to holidays, office closures, events, etc.
- Schedules and provides other support to arrange trainings, meetings, employee recognition, staff parties and other processes or events as assigned by the Sr. Director of HR.
- Assists Sr. Director of HR in investigations, serving as a witness and arranging appointments, maintaining confidentiality.
- Provides administrative support to the performance review process, to facilitate the complete and timely submission of performance evaluations.
- Infrequent travel to internal or external sites may be required per business necessity.
- Other duties/assistance as assigned by Sr. Director of HR.
- Directly or through the monitoring of ADP/PEO, administers health and welfare plans, including enrollments, changes, carrier correspondence, and terminations.
- Processes required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record-keeping and proper employee contributions
- Reconciles benefit plan and other invoices managed through HR and arranges for payment via agency process.
- Manage open enrollment process including co-facilitating staff open enrollment sessions.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Produces EEOC, NY Pay notice, DOL, and others as assigned, reports and submit to appropriate authority.
- Maintains separate files for I-9’s and medical records.
- Conducts or assists with audits of electronic and non-electronic HR records to ensure completeness and compliance, as assigned by the Sr. Director or HR.
- Completes Forms I-9 including e-verify, verifies I-9 documentation and maintains I-9 files.
- Arranges/conducts New Hire Orientation meetings and processes.
- Conduct Timekeeping system orientation for new hires.
- Collaborate with Finance team on administration of biweekly payroll including staff approvals, and Paid Time Off (PTO) administration.
- Review payroll registrar report for accuracy.
Professional Employer Organization PEO
- Monitors ADP/PEO’s management of assigned functions; administers other processes as applicable.
- Assists employees and provides advocacy on their behalf with ADP/PEO, to resolve administrative matters involving Timekeeping, Accruals, Personal/Employment Information, Leave Status, benefit payments, and other areas as needed.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders in transition away from PEO including data migration, HRIS implementation, internal management of benefit and 401k plans,
Recruitment, Retention, Training, and Employee Relations
- In concert with or as assigned by Sr. HR Director, conducts recruitment effort for exempt and nonexempt positions; prepares and places job postings; reviews, shares, and discusses resumes and applications with Hiring Managers; screens applicants by phone as needed.
- Submits and tracks post-offer workflow including applicant background checks.
- Maintains applicant tracking data in Smartsheets and or Applicant Tracking System.
- Monitors career-pathing, conducts exit interviews, and maintains related data
- Provides administrative support to Sr. Director of HR with the Talent Acquisition process, including the tracking of applicants pre and post offer.
- Schedules meetings and interviews as requested by the Director of HR
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Experience with ADP TotalSource, SalesForce and EZLabor a plus.
- Experience with migrating HRIS and implementing Applicant Tracking System (ATS) a plus.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS and talent management systems.
- Familiarity with issues faced by LGBT older adults and desire to support SAGE’s vision and mission.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Psychology or commensurate experience.
- At least five years of human resource generalist or equivalent experience is required.
- Experience working for a national non-profit with a presence in multiple states, including California, a plus.
- Experience working for a social service agency that provides direct services a plus.
- SHRM-CP or PHR certification a plus.
- Six-Sigma certification a plus.
Compensation: Competitive salary; SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “HR Generalist” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.