SAGE is the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer or questioning (LGBTQ+) older people. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources to LGBTQ+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBTQ+ older people, provide education and technical assistance for aging providers and LGBTQ+ organizations through its National Resource Center on LGBTQ+ Aging, and cultural competence training through SAGECare.
Department(s): Finance Department
Reports to: Executive Vice President/CFO
Location: SAGE’s headquarters in Midtown Manhattan, New York. This position is a hybrid role (2-3 days/week and more often as required)
Reporting to the Executive Vice President/CFO, the incoming Chief Operations Officer/Deputy CFO has the exciting opportunity to join the organization during inflection, reflection, and growth. Building on the momentum of a new strategic plan and deep and evolving commitments to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, the COO/Deputy CFO will have the opportunity to shape how shared services are delivered. This work will require a leader animated by SAGE’s mission. It will bring significant operations and finance expertise – including system and process design and implementation, alongside creative and strategic visioning – to this expanding organization.
- The position will offer direct supervision to the finance function at SAGE, which includes general ledger, monthly closing, treasury, planning and budgeting, and preparation of financial statements and reports. Responsible for the coordination and preparation of the organizational-wide audit and form 990. The finance team includes four members (two Senior Accountants and two Junior Accountants) who currently report to an interim Director of Finance.
- Oversee the functions at SAGE, which encompasses the services provided at SAGE’s physical facilities in NYC, Miami, and DC. Facilities also include the management of the property and casualty insurance policies and office services. The Director of Facilities will report to the COO/Deputy CFO.
- Oversee the Information Technology function at SAGE, which encompasses the management of the IT infrastructure and services for the entire national organization. The Director of IT will report to the COO/Deputy CFO.
Collaboration & Change Management:
- Partner with the Leadership team and staff to build buy-in and alignment in providing shared services.
- Emphasize the importance of building efficiencies, prompt response, and implementing systems that promote collaboration.
- The COO/Deputy CFO manages SAGE’S financial and business affairs, planning, building operations, office services, information systems, and security.
- Leads the Finance, IT, and Facilities teams, providing overall leadership and guidance for functions including financial statements, budgeting and planning, billing, accounts payable, facilities management, procurement, vendor management, and information systems.
Mission & Values Alignment:
The candidate must deeply and personally understand the work with LGBTQ+, aging communities, and communities of color. They must also have a passion for – and commitment to – SAGE’s mission to serve LGBTQ+ elders, so they achieve a high quality of life.
Executive & Team Leadership:
At least 10 years in an executive operations/finance leadership role, preferably in an organization experiencing significant growth or change. Proven history of leading, inspiring, and developing cohesive and high-functioning teams with diverse identities to deliver outcomes while centering an organization’s mission effectively. Track record of effective collaboration with other executive leaders. Experience setting and driving strategy at the organizational level. Ability to manage up, down, and across an organization effectively, with and without formal authority.
- Demonstrates deep knowledge of non-profit accounting and finance
- Experience managing financial operations for an organization with a minimum operating budget of $10 million
- Significant expertise in the fundamentals of facilities management
- Experience with organizations that have multiple sites preferred
- Experience leading the information technology operations of a complex organization
- Promote trust, teamwork, partnership, and engagement across departments and levels of leadership
- Designation as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) a plus.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in business administration, public administration, finance, or accounting preferred.
Salary: SAGE offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary range for this role is $144k to $180K annually.
How to Apply: Please click here to begin the application process. Contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate based on actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy with respect to all matters concerning employment.