Invisible? Not us. We stood up and fought back at Stonewall. We cared for lovers and lost best friends during the AIDS epidemic. We made marriage equality a reality. Now we need your support as we age.
Age cannot dull our fierceness, but decades of systemic discrimination have created health, income, and housing disparities for LGBT elders:
- 50% feel isolated
- 1/3 live below the poverty line
- 35% aren’t out to their doctors
- 2x as many report depressive symptoms vs. their non-LGBT peers
- 1/2 of people living with HIV are over 50
- 20% avoid medical care out of fear of discrimination
Everyone needs compassion and companionship. Everyone deserves to be happy, healthy, and proud. Like everyone, we need some support as we age—but we can overcome our disparities. We refuse to accept less. We refuse to be invisible.