The Staff Accountant is tasked with routine though highly impactful transactional operations within the Finance Department, with precision. Performs biweekly payroll/accrual processing, regularly auditing for accuracy, conducts A/P process per agency and regulatory standards, and supports Finance Department and agency-wide efforts as needed. Additionally, they will process, monitor, and maintain a record of A/R items including fees for service revenue and payments from participants.
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Location: SAGE’s National Headquarters in New York NY
Schedule: Generally, 35 hours/week 9:30 – 5:30, Monday – Friday; with schedule adjustments as needed per business necessity
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and accurately maintain payroll, accruals, and deductions in payroll software within the required timeframe
- Record bi-weekly payroll in the accounting system
- Manage and maintain the electronic A/P system; handle exceptions in the automated system and preparing/submitting vendor payments
- Reviewing A/P batches and import into accounting software
- Review and input electronic and non-electronic A/P data
- Identify and verify transaction information
- Review and complete bank and account reconciliations
- Prepare and issue annual 1099’s and other items
- Provide support to the annual budget process, cash flow reviews, and other functions of the Finance department
- Act as liaison with vendors and program staff to resolve Accounts Receivable:
- Process revenue transactions for the following categories, including credit card, cash, check, and electronic transactions:
- National Programs
- Payments from Participants
- Philanthropic support
- Accurately input journal entries; maintain transaction record data in appropriate journals, statements, balance sheets, and software
- Secure and maintain all Finance Department electronic and non-electronic records in an organized manner; allowing for both appropriate security and ease of access
- Provide transactional assistance to employees holding Agency credit cards; redirect approval/exception requests to Accounting Manager or Director of Finance
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders as needed
- Provide support to Controller and Finance department personnel during agency-wide audit
- Perform other duties as assigned, within Finance or in collaboration with other departments and programs
- Demonstrated experience, A/P Management, and other Finance or office support in a nonprofit setting
- Fluency in MS Excel plus ability to learn Intacct, Salesforce, or other pertinent software
- Strong computational ability
- Experience with Automated AP system a plus
- Customer Service approach to the delivery of support services
- Attention to detail
- Ability to adhere to standards, follow directions, and perform work accurately, professionally within a fast-paced environment, while maintaining the appropriate level of confidentiality
- Commitment to SAGE’s Mission
Compensation: Salary DOE. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
How to Apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with “Staff Accountant” in the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
People of color, women, transgender and gender non-conforming people, older adults, poor and low-income people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.