Department: External Affairs
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Job Location: New York City; this position is a hybrid position with the option of up to two days of remote work per week.
SAGE is the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning (LGBTQ+) older people. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBTQ+ older people and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBTQ+ older people, and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBQT+ organizations, largely through its National Resource Center on LGBTQ+ Aging and its growing social enterprise SAGECare. SAGE has staff in ten states and the District of Columbia and coordinates a network of 30 SAGE affiliates in 22 states and Puerto Rico.
The Special Assistant for Executive Vice President and External Affairs is a high-level support position to SAGE’s Executive Vice President and External Affairs teams, which is comprised of SAGE’s advocacy, communications, development and national partnerships departments. This full-time position will manage all aspects of the EVP’s scheduling, travel logistics, and support the EVP in administrative tasks. The Special Assistant also provides support for the EVP’s external engagements and meetings.
The candidate must possess outstanding interpersonal skills as this is a forward-facing role working with external stakeholders, as well as with internal SAGE staff from all levels of the organization. The successful candidate must be extremely organized and has the ability to work effectively and proactively in a dynamic, fast-paced organization, and demonstrate sound judgment throughout the work. This position also requires professionalism, excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills, flexibility, initiative, attention to detail, confidentiality as well as the ability to manage competing priorities. Commitment to SAGE’s mission is essential.
The Special Assistant for Executive Vice President and External Affairs must possess a high degree of professionalism, tact, initiative, and diplomacy, to
- Oversee and manage the EVP’s schedule, coordinating and confirming meetings and appointments, and handling logistics (restaurant reservations, conference room reservations, travel directions, verifying virtual meeting links and instructions, etc.)
- Support the EVP’s preparation for meetings including creation of materials, agendas, material gathering, and follow-up to maximize EVP’s impact.
- Ensure that EVP has the information and materials for all relevant meetings and work with the EVP to capture follow ups and action steps from meetings
- Ensure other SAGE staff participating in the meetings and engagements are aware of and prepared for the meetings and engagements.
- Collect and distribute, as appropriate, notes on the external meetings and capture all notes in SAGE’s Salesforce system.
- Track, manage, and follow up on external meetings and relationships with an eye towards maximizing the benefits of these activities to SAGE and its mission
- Meet regularly with the EVP to review upcoming schedule and CEO’s follow up/to do tasks, establish reminders for additional tasks and discuss upcoming scheduling
- Book and coordinate travel arrangements for the EVP and External Affairs department Directors; produce itineraries for EVP’s travel
- Compose and prepare correspondence for the EVP, on occasion
- Facilitate the EVP’s review and signing of various contracts, agreements and other items requiring EVP approval
- Collaborate with the EVP and External Affairs team to create meeting agendas, and, on occasion, attend meetings to capture minutes and action steps
- Manage the External Affairs team’s process for collaborative work, including regular reports, send reminders to ensure the team’s meets deadlines.
- Compile and submit EVP’s expense reports, and manage and track vendor invoices, reimbursements and payments
- Prepare check requests and process other paperwork for the EVP and the External Affairs Teams as needed
- Develop and keep up to date EVP contacts, their affiliations, and contact information
- Oversee SAGE’s annual state registration process in coordination with SAGE’s external consultant firm
- Oversee SAGE’s annual Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) employee giving application
- Conduct research and work on other special projects for the EVP and External Affairs team as needed
- As necessary, facilitate the work of the External Affairs Team, perform general administrative duties, including, but not limited to, screening calls, photocopying, mailings, and filing
- A Bachelor’s degree (substantial work experience may be substituted), plus a minimum of five years of experience working with and supporting the operations of an Executive Officer
- Skilled at coordinating high-volume meetings
- A high standard of work and a conscientious approach to work with the ability to meet tight deadlines, anticipate needs, and be proactive to resolve issues
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, juggle multiple tasks, organize time effectively
- Experience liaising with high-level stakeholders, including the board of directors, Executive Team members, funders and decision-makers
- Ability to interact respectfully with LGBTQ+ older adults and interface easily with other SAGE constituents and stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong commitment to SAGE’s mission
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- especially Microsoft Outlook’s calendar functions and Virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams, and other third-party applications), while also quickly learning processes specific to the department
- Knowledge of Salesforce a plus
Compensation: Salary DOE. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Special Assistant to EVP” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.