Reports to: Assistant Director of Special Programs
Status: Part-time / Nonexempt
Location: Onsite location in Miami, plus travel to various locations within Miami-Dade County, Florida.
Schedule: Part-time, 20 hours/week, mutually agreed-upon days, Monday-Friday. Schedule adjustments including weekends may occasionally be necessary
SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ+) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization (as well as a local direct service provider in New York City and other communities) that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBTQ+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBTQ+ older people and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBTQ+ organizations.
SAGE Miami Services for LGBTQ+ Elders is a new program designed to provide critical support to LGBTQ+ elders in Miami-Dade, with a specific but non-exclusive focus on low-income older adults, to ensure that they have the practical and financial supports they need to live with dignity on a day-to-day basis and that they have social connections and companionship.
The Outreach Specialist will play a crucial role in identifying LGBTQ+ elders in need of case management and stipendiary assistance and engaging elders in the SAGE Miami Services for LGBTQ+ Elders Program. In order to identify and engage more elders in the program, the Outreach Specialist will develop and implement a comprehensive outreach strategy to develop relationships with LGBTQ+ older people and Miami-Dade agencies serving LGBTQ+ older adults.
As in all of SAGE’s work, this program and position will emphasize collaboration with local providers and partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement an outreach strategy to cultivate relationships with LGBTQ+ older people and Miami-Dade County-based agencies serving LGBTQ+ older adults
- Assess the needs and interests of LGBTQ+ elders
- Identify and facilitate virtual and in-person outreach activities (e.g. tabling at community and neighborhood events, attending local and statewide forums, agency presentations, participation in town halls) to elevate the program in the Miami-Dade community and to build partnerships with local agencies and businesses
- Partner with SAGE’s Communications and Marketing team to leverage online platforms and social media to promote the program
- Foster positive relationships with external providers serving the LGBTQ+ community and develop linkages to community resources for the older LGBTQ+ population
- Work closely with the Care Manager to promote the program and refer older adults in need of services
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned
- Background in program outreach and/or comprehensive work history with the LGBTQ+ community
- Working knowledge of program promotion through online channels and social media platforms
- Strong commitment to SAGE’s mission and the LGBTQ+ community, with particular attention to aging justice, racial justice, transgender justice, and disability justice
- Deep knowledge of the Miami-Dade community and stakeholders
- Strong partnership and collaboration skills
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and dependable
- Willingness to work on-site at local SAGE offices and at community events
- Ability to work independently as well as be an involved member of a team
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Self-directed and able to work with moderate supervision
- Computer literate, with knowledge of Microsoft Office and ability to learn other pertinent software systems and databases
- Ability to travel throughout Miami-Dade County
- Familiarity with LGBTQ+ culture and communities
- Experience working with aging populations
- Familiarity with issues of cultural and linguistic competency with regards to ability, race, ethnicity, class, sexuality, gender identity and expression, and other characteristics that affect the lives of diverse older adults
- Familiarity with social, medical, aging and veteran services networks and supports
- Fluent in Spanish
SAGE offers a competitive salary and an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply
Please click here to begin the application process. Contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy with respect to all matters concerning employment.