SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT+) older people. In partnership with its constituents and allies, SAGE works to achieve a high quality of life for LGBT+ older people, supports and advocates for their rights, fosters a greater understanding of aging in all communities and promotes positive images of LGBT+ life in later years. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE has worked tirelessly for over 40 years on behalf of LGBT+ older people. Building off the momentum of the Stonewall uprising and the emerging LGBT+ civil rights movement, a group of activists came together to ensure that LGBT+ older people could age with respect and dignity. SAGE formed a network of support for LGBT+ elders that’s still going and growing today. SAGE is more than just an organization. It is a movement of loving, caring activists dedicated to providing advocacy, services, and support to older members of the LGBT+ community.
SAGE operates at the intersection of LGBT+ and aging experiences. Its work ensures that all LGBT+ older people have just and fair access to the opportunities they deserve and are free from ageism. SAGE is a learning organization rooted in community. It values collaborative teamwork internally and partnership externally. It places a premium on robust communication, and on listening to and learning from each other. It is committed to transformative change for LGBT+ older people. As such, SAGE values courageous creativity, openness, thoughtful risk-taking, and flexibility. SAGE is grounded in the spirit of “nothing about us without us.” It listens respectfully to the full breadth of voices of LGBT+ older people and seeks to positively impact all LGBT+ older people. Its work is data-driven, disciplined, and responsive to change. It works hard, continually improves, and is accountable for excellent outcomes.
The Managing Director of Social Enterprise’s primary responsibility will be directing and growing the SAGECare – SAGE’s LGBT aging cultural competency training, consulting, and credentialing program. SAGECare (www.sageusa.care) provides LGBT competency training and consulting on LGBT aging issues to service providers in the elder services space. SAGECare offers the added benefit that qualifying agencies may receive a national credential to highlight the percentage of staff trained. Working with a network of independent expert trainers, we deliver in-person, virtual, and online asynchronous training products to a wide variety of service providers. To date, we have trained over 100,000 people and credentialed more than 500 providers. SAGECare has earned revenue exceeding $2MM since its launch in 2016. We are seeking a candidate to create and implement a plan to significantly grow the impact and revenue.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Direct experience working within a fee-for-service business that includes planning/growth strategy, P&Ls, marketing, management, customer service, subcontracting.
- Demonstrated commitment to SAGE’s organizational values, as outlined here. including diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- MBA and/or 2-3 minimum relevant years of work experience.
Direct all aspects of SAGECare’s. Specific responsibilities include:
- Creating exponential growth of the SAGECare program. As a first step, within six months the Managing Director of Social Enterprise will conduct an audit of the SAGECare business structure, processes, products, revenue streams, market competition, etc. and draft an actionable business plan that will provide strategic guidance on departmental structure, hiring priorities, revenue diversification, competitive market scan, and other capital investments necessary to ensure SAGECare’s continued growth and impact, particularly among LGBT older adults of color, transgender, gender non-conforming, and nonbinary older adults, LGBT older adults in rural communities, and those in low income communities,
- Implement all aspects of the business plan to strengthen, diversify, and grow SAGECare, including benchmarks at the one-, three-, and five-year marks,
- Direct managerial oversight of all aspects of SAGECare’s business structure from client acquisition through training and credentialing. This includes overseeing marketing and outreach, customer service and management, training delivery, data collection and maintenance of records, operational questions, budgeting and invoicing, and strategic oversight into continued growth and scaling of SAGECare,
- Partner with Director of Learning and Equity on oversight for all facets of managing SAGECare’s Certified Trainers (independent contractors), including cultivating and training new Certified Trainers,
- Directly manage high-level clients/engagements and final oversight on the execution of all complex, multi-site training projects and national contract fulfillment,
- Final oversight and long-term strategy for creating, marketing, and delivering new SAGECare products, including responding to shifting regulatory requirements and professional licensing standards,
- Manage a growing SAGECare team (currently ~4.5 FTEs), and directly supervise the Director of Learning and Equity and the SAGECare Business Development Lead, and
- Provide strategic oversight and input on other SAGE educational and training activities such as conference presentations, work conducted by the National Resource Center on LGBT Aging, and other ad hoc educational opportunities.
This job is considered entirely remote, with some expectation to occasionally travel to SAGE NYC headquarters and to other parts of the country, to conduct training and business development with high-level clients.
How to Apply: Please send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Managing Director of Social Enterprise” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.