Under the direction of the Chief Officer for External Affairs, the Managing Director of Communications & Marketing possesses the acumen to work strategically, effectively and proactively in a dynamic, fast-paced organization. The Managing Director of Communications & Marketing must also possess outstanding written, oral and interpersonal skills.
The Managing Director of Communications & Marketing will create an integrated, measurable, organization-wide communications and marketing strategy to achieve SAGE’s strategic objectives. The Managing Director of Communications will oversee and implement the execution of that strategy. The Managing Director will also direct and oversee all of SAGE’s communications channels, including website, social media properties, press outlets, videos, e-blasts, and publications. The Managing Director will also oversee marketing and communications efforts for SAGE’s programs and development and fundraising initiatives, working closely with relevant internal stakeholders.
- Create and execute a proactive, organization-wide communications and marketing strategy.
- Implement SAGE’s newly developed brand and brand strategy and develop a complementary messaging framework that reflects SAGE’s brand voice and align all outgoing communications.
- Oversee all of SAGE’s outgoing messaging and communications materials, including all fundraising emails and external content, as well as all press releases, publications, eblasts, social media, etc.
- Provide high-level leadership and strategic thinking to all of SAGE’s marketing and communications efforts and guide the marketing and communications department to reach benchmarks and objectives, including revenue goals where appropriate.
- Coordinate with all SAGE departments to ensure consistency of messaging and brand voice and implement the organization-wide communications and marketing strategy across many stakeholder audiences, both internally and externally.
- Create and implement advocacy and brand campaigns that further SAGE’s policy goals and strategic priorities and increase engagement with SAGE.
- Develop and administer a rapid response communications strategy and lead SAGE’s rapid response communication, monitoring breaking news and advising how/when/if SAGE responds.
- Oversee the development and implementation of SAGE’s media outreach and press messaging and strategy, focusing on SAGE’s key markets across the country.
- Directly supervise the Director of Communications and provide oversight to the larger marketing and communications team, which includes the Director of Communications, a Communications Specialist and a Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
- Manage external agencies, vendors, and contractors as appropriate
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in marketing and communications ideally in a non-profit, advocacy or political environment.
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in marketing or communications or equivalent work experience.
- Deep knowledge of marketing, branding, communications, advertising, media relations, and social media.
- Fluency in the latest technology and communications vehicles.
- Demonstrated ability to manage many competing deadlines.
- Works well under pressure.
- Excellent written, oral and proofreading skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership, motivational, management, and communications skills.
- An established record as a team builder and mentor.
- Strong sense of humor.
- Deep understanding of and demonstrated commitment to LGBT and/or aging issues preferred; deep commitment to both required.
- Passion for SAGE’s mission.
- Demonstrated commitment to SAGE’s values of diversity and equity.
Location: SAGE’s headquarters in Midtown Manhattan.
Compensation: Salary DOE. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to: Careers@sageusa.org with “Managing Director of Communications & Marketing” in the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter will not be reviewed. Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.