The Major Gifts Officer for the West Coast and Midwest is an integral member of the Development Department. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, the Major Gifts Officer is accountable for providing a wide range of diversified fundraising and administrative management support for the organization, and specifically the Development department. The Major Gifts Officer assist in the assessment and execution of the agency’s fundraising goals, including revenue generation around all organizational events, researching/prospecting new fundraising opportunities, and supporting other development activities as required. The MGO works with the Senior Directors in managing all aspects of donor prospecting, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
Reports To: Senior Director of Development
Location: Remote – Based in LA
Status: Full-time / Exempt
Schedule: Generally, 35 hours/week, Monday – Friday, 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM; there will be occasional evening and weekend work in accordance with business necessity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cultivates positive relationships with their portfolio donors and prospects through multiple communication touchpoints, for example, phone calls, letters, emails, proposals and face-to-face visits, to educate them of our mission.
- Draft articles, emails and other communications to our donor list on SAGE’s work, as well as solicitation and acknowledgement letters as needed;
- Collaborate with Senior Director of Development to ensure a consistent donor experience across all channels.
- Manage the drafting, production and mailing of quarterly stewardship mailings to prospects and donors and biannual direct mail solicitations to major gift prospects;
- Create and manage all donor reports, including event revenue, board fundraising, and regular reporting on fiscal year goals.
- Serve as primary point and relationship manager for the LA SAGE National Leadership Committee, coordinating the Committee’s involvement in the Annual Dinner as well as promoting additional opportunities for Committee members to be involved with SAGE’s programs.
- Provide event logistics support for events and programs hosted by Development and other departments in coordination with the Events Production Manager.
- Improve upon a process-based, data-driven, high leveraged systems to maximize fundraising efforts.
- Uses proposals, campaigns, website, calls and visits to best serve the donor providing context and giving opportunities that best match their passion. There will also be opportunities to hold regional small group visits, ask the Pres/CEO or other CAM representative to attend a visit.
- Minimum of four (4) years* of nonprofit fundraising experience, including frontline fundraising, preferably at LGBT, human services, advocacy, or similar organizations
- Excellent writing skills
- Professional, an entrepreneurial mindset, and an ability to work well with diverse people
- Ability to plan, multi-task, manage workflow, and produce under the pressure of deadlines and unexpected opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to work simultaneously on discrete projects and long-term goals
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to handle many details, focus on task completion, and meet deadlines
- Prior experience in the LGBT community, especially in collaborating with other organizations and groups within the community to build partnerships and enhance fundraising activities
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge and/or Salesforce is a plus
*Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Relevant work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
Compensation: Competitive salary; SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Major Gifts Officer (West Coast/Midwest)” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.