This position is the primary relationship manager for major donors and prospects located in SAGE’s key growth areas of Los Angeles, Palm Springs and the Mid-west Primary responsibilities include identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors and prospects through a combination of face to face visits, local cultivation events, donor proposals, and participation in the National Leadership Council. The Major Gifts Officer plays an integral role in a relationship-based and donor-centered approach to build a sustainable base of philanthropic support for SAGE, developing and implementing personalized cultivation plans to ensure major donors and prospects are effectively stewarded, resulting in strong national support for SAGE and our programs.
Reports to: Director of Major Gifts
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Schedule: Generally 35 hours/week, 9:30am to 5:30pm, Monday through Friday; schedule may vary in accordance with business necessity
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects in Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Chicago, and other regional locations as appropriate.
- Create customized stewardship/cultivation plans for each person in their portfolio with the intention of renewing/securing them as a member of the National Leadership Council, Investors Circle, and/or Taylor Society (the planned giving society at SAGE). Tactics to include personal visits, e-mails, telephone calls, written proposals, and events.
- With the Director of Major Gifts, support the Board of Directors’ Investors Circle Subcommittee to utilize volunteers in the growth of Investors Circle clubs in assigned regions.
- Work with the Director of Major Gifts and volunteer leadership to develop strategies for and support the daily activities and cultivation efforts of the National Leadership Council (regional donors of $10,000 and above).
- Manage the planning, solicitation, and execution of SAGE & Friends events in assigned regional cities.
- Manage the Major Gift Coordinator in the execution of quarterly stewardship mailings to regional major gift/mid-level giving prospects and donors and twice-annual direct mail solicitations to regional major gift/mid-level giving prospects.
- Work with senior staff (Chief Officer of External Affairs, Board and Executive Director) to coordinate face-to-face cultivation, solicitation, renewal, and stewardship actions for regional top-tier major donors and prospects.
- Manage and update portfolios through database management (Raiser’s Edge/Salesforce).
- Participate in major and minor fundraising events including serving as lead on donor events and activities.
- Develop relationships with potential Taylor Society prospects and facilitate introductions to the Director of Gift Planning where appropriate.
- Other responsibilities, including coordinating other special projects, as assigned by the Director of Major Gifts or Chief Officer of External Affairs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills are required.
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards.
- Demonstrate empathy and perseverance, reflect an optimistic attitude in representing SAGE to external stakeholders, and convey sensitivity to the needs of donors.
- Ability to work remotely, with diverse stakeholders, and within a pluralistic environment.
Experience and Education:
- Demonstrated individual giving or related experience; candidates with portfolio management experience strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or sufficient experience to substitute for degree required.
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, or comparable database software preferred.
- Strong Microsoft Office and PC proficiency required.
- Direct mail experience preferred.
- Experience working with the LGBT community, older adults, or on issues that address the needs of these communities is preferred.
Compensation: Competitive salary; SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Major Gift Officer in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.