Under the direction of the Director of Advocacy, the HIV & Aging Coalition Coordinator will coordinate and facilitate a coalition dedicated to state and federal policy advocacy at the intersection of HIV and aging. Members of the coalition will hail from a wide variety of fields, including survivor-led HIV advocacy organizations, mainstream HIV advocacy organizations, AIDS service organizations, aging organizations, LGBT organizations, data and policy experts, community-based organizations, and others. This new position is responsible for designing, populating, launching and coordinating the HIV & Aging Coalition and its day-to-day work, including general oversight for coalition activities and associated projects. The Coordinator will work to develop and implement strategies that will lead to long-term involvement of HIV & Aging Coalition partners.
Reports to: Director of Advocacy
Status: Full-time/Exempt; Funded via three-year grant
Schedule: Generally 35 hours/week, Monday – Friday, 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM; schedule may vary in accordance with business necessity
Location: Flexible; preference for the successful candidate to be based in Washington, D.C. or Chicago, IL, but not required
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Director of Advocacy, organize and facilitate the development of a coalition of members for the HIV & Aging Coalition from a wide variety of fields.
- Work with the Director of Advocacy and Director of National Field Initiatives to support and organize the Coalition.
- Recruit and maintain a diverse coalition membership with state and national partners.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships between SAGE and members of the coalition and other community partners.
- Organize, facilitate and follow upon the coalition’s regular conference calls.
- Organize, facilitate and follow upon any coalition’s meetings.
- Assist coalition members’ annual strategic planning process and guide coalition to develop a corresponding comprehensive action plan and policy agenda.
- Direct and assist coalition to develop policy priorities that promote the coalition mission by: developing position statements; reviewing and recommending endorsements of policies, and advocating for policies/legislation at state/federal levels.
- Work with the Director of Advocacy to engage and build relationships with state and federal elected officials and policy makers to advocate for policies and legislation.
- Develop and implement evaluation measures for coalition activities and projects.
- Meet funder requirements, track outcomes, and prepare necessary reports for funders.
- Continually broaden expertise in the area of HIV & aging and serve as resource person.
- Conduct research to identify best practices for coalition.
- Represent coalition at conferences and important convenings.
- Continually maintain and develop content for the Coalition’s marketing materials.
- Coordinate the production of reports, policy agendas and other necessary materials.
- Organize and facilitate the creation of materials for all coalition calls and meetings.
- Create, launch, and manage a long-term survivor speaker’s bureau and story collection initiative.
- Develop and coordinate communications strategy and social media presence, in coordination with SAGE’s Director of Communications.
- Assist in the identification and formation of statewide HIV and aging coalitions, as necessary.
- Identify opportunities to engage new community partners and build coalition membership.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in working with people living with HIV or in HIV policy advocacy.
- Proven ability to work independently.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and general computer skills.
- Comfort in learning and using digital tools (project management, video conferencing).
- Demonstrated ability to manage many competing deadlines.
- Works well under pressure.
- Strong leadership, motivational, and communications skills.
- Strong sense of humor.
- Deep understanding of and demonstrated commitment to LGBT, HIV and aging issues preferred; deep commitment to all three required.
- Passion for SAGE’s mission.
- Demonstrated commitment to SAGE’s values of diversity and equity.
- Travel required.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this role. The employee is regularly required to communicate both in writing and verbally, by phone and in person. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk, and to travel between different parts of the country, in accordance with business necessity.
Compensation: Competitive; SAGE offers a generous benefits package, as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “HIV & Aging Coalition Coordinator” in the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter will not be reviewed. Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter. No phone calls.