SAGE is seeking a temporary grassroots organizer responsible for grassroots organizing, LGBT elder leadership development, and alliance-building with influential voices in the aging space. Organizing priorities will likely include the passage of comprehensive national LGBT civil rights legislation and legislation to improve the lives of LGBT older people/older people living with HIV at the state and federal level. This will be a remote job (you can live anywhere). Work will be primarily focused in Florida with some focus on additional states.
- Find and cultivate activists who will lend their voice to the fight for LGBT equality
- Recruit, organize, train, and develop grassroots LGBT elder community activists and their allies with our coalition partners, to take effective collective action to influence policymakers to support LGBT rights
- Build engaged relationships with LGBT older people, older people living with HIV, influencers in the aging network, and influencers in the aging /business sector, to leverage their power and influence policymakers through meetings, letters-to-the-editor, and/or other forms of engagement
- Monitor and actively engage the offices of target policymakers
- Facilitate the development of educational materials
- Organize virtual town halls and/or other engagement activities
- Schedule appointments with elected officials/staff
- Solicit, coordinate, and train groups of constituents for meetings with elected officials/staff
- Take meeting notes and capture notes/next steps on feedback forms
- Engage in follow-up with offices – including thank you notes and on-going sharing of relevant information to facilitate continued engagement with the offices
- Create and maintain a database including constituents/prospective meeting participants (contact information, connection to SAGE, brief bio, etc.), meeting details, and on-going relationship with the elected officials/staff
Experience & Qualifications:
- Demonstrated commitment to LGBT rights and/or broader social justice issues
- LGBT rights, social justice, and community organizing experience of 2-5 years
- Exceptional verbal, written, and online communications skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of how policy advocacy works
- Excellent interpersonal skills (one-on-one and in group contexts), cultural competencies, strong listening skills, patience, and humor
- Demonstrated ability and dedication to work in partnership with various constituencies (LGBTQIA, black, indigenous, people of color, older people, business leaders, and policy-makers)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team across organizational departments
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Bilingual Spanish/English highly desirable
The salary range is commensurate with experience. Benefits include: medical, dental, paid holidays, and sick time.
How to Apply: Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com with Grassroots Organizer in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.