Founded in 1978, SAGE is the nation’s oldest and largest organization dedicated to improving the lives of LGBT older people. In partnership with its constituents and allies, SAGE works to achieve a high quality of life for LGBT older people, supports and advocates for their rights, fosters a greater understanding of aging in all communities, and promotes positive images of LGBT life in later years. We fulfill our mission through advocacy and by providing direct and supportive social services, social and recreational activities, education, and technical assistance programs both locally and nationally.
SAGE seeks a consultant to support proposal and report development, management, and other writing needs associated with institutional fund raising, including foundation and corporate foundations. This role will work closely with the Senior Director of Development along with other key staff from relevant program divisions at SAGE.
The consultant has extensive experience and is a recognized expert in proposal development, grant writing, and report preparation associated with foundation and corporate foundation fund raising. The consultant has a deep understanding of the LGBT community, advocacy organizations, and direct service programs. Knowledge of older adults and the aging field is a plus. Must possess strong project management skills, be extremely detail oriented and organized, able to communicate clearly and effectively, and collaborate with staff across multiple departments to source information.
- Source, write, synthesize, and edit compelling and accurate LOI, proposal, and report content.
- Meet and integrate proposal requirements and deadlines (both internal and external).
- Gather and integrate programmatic information – combining with research elements and data.
- Compile and project manage through the pre-submission stage – including some supporting documents.
- Master’s degree in a related field strongly desired
- Proven related experience in grant writing
- Experience in institutional giving, preferably at LGBT, human services, advocacy, or similar organizations
- Exceptional writer – experience writing proposals and managing grants for foundation and corporate grants
- Excellent analytic ability and ability to synthesize complex information
- Highly entrepreneurial, self-motivated, resourceful, and flexible
- Professional, an entrepreneurial mindset, and an ability to work well with diverse people
- Ability to plan, multi-task, and manage workflow
- Demonstrated ability to work simultaneously on multiple concurrent projects and deadlines
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to handle many details and focus on quality completion of projects within contractual timelines
- Prior experience in the LGBT community, especially in fundraising positions, and/or familiarity with aging concerns, is a plus
Initial consultancy period: September-December 2019
Anticipated start date: September 23, 2019
Contract may be extendable based on mutual alignment and need.
How to Apply:
For consideration, please provide:
- Fee requirement (hourly or monthly)
- Preference of location (NYC or remote)
- Two (2) professional references – please prioritize references that can speak to relevant proposal/report writing (Will not contact before speaking with you.)
- over letter outlining interest and qualifications
- At least two (2) writing samples (proposal or report preferred)
- Please send the items listed above to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.