SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBT older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBT older people, and provides cultural competency training to institutions that serve the aging and LGBT organizations, largely through its National Resource Center on LGBT Aging and its growing social entrepreneurship project. With offices in New York City, Washington, DC, and Chicago, SAGE coordinates a growing network of 27 SAGE affiliates in 20 states and the District of Columbia.
Under the direction of the Crotona Pride House Site Director, the Food Handler is responsible for food service operations at the Bronx site in compliance with requirements established by the New York City Department for the Aging (DFTA) and Department of Health (DOH) for nutrition, sanitation, and safety. They must be able to interact respectfully with LGBT older adults and other SAGE personnel.
- Receive weekday meals from the caterer, properly store and coordinate congregate meal distribution with food service workers and volunteers, ensuring compliance with established nutrition, sanitation, and safety standards.
- Estimate daily or weekly needs for food service to be communicated to the caterer
- Create, in conjunction with SAGE food handlers, caterer, and DFTA nutritionist a 6-month menu cycle for Midtown, Harlem, and Brooklyn sites.
- Create forms and informational documents, such as quarterly ‘in service’ documents, for all sites
- Maintain up-to-date and audit-ready food service records at all times including:
- Daily meal count
- Tallies from caterer
- Inventory temperature logs
- Self-inspection checklist
- Preventive maintenance checklist
- Weekly submission of catering check requests
- Monitor and re-order kitchen supply levels of detergents, disposables, and washable dinner utensils
- Reconcile supply invoices
- Order food for special events and occasional weekend and holiday meals
- Coordinate Food Pantry program (Food for Your Health) in compliance with Food Bank of NYC guidelines.
- Utilizing the food bank online portal to place orders
- Completing check requests in a timely manner
- Ensuring proper storage of received food items
- Maintaining up-to-date inventory and movement records of individual items
- Facilitating monthly pantry program
- Logging participant numbers with FeedNYC
- Facilitate quarterly Menu Planning Committee meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma
- Some college preferred in hospitality or nutrition
- Must hold a New York City Department of Health food handlers certificate
- 2 years experience in preparing and serving food in a nutrition program
- Principles and best practices of food service coordination
- Use and care of institutional kitchen equipment and utensils
- Procedures used in ordering, receiving, storing, and inventory food and supplies
- Health and safety rules pertaining to food establishments, including nutritional and sanitation regulations
- Customer service/interpersonal skills
Location: Bronx, NY
Compensation: Salary DOE. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
How to Apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with “Food Service Handler – Crotona Pride House” in the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
People of color, women, transgender and gender non-conforming people, older adults, poor and low-income people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.