SAGE is the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer and/or questioning (LGBTQ+) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization as well as a local direct service provider in New York City, that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBTQ+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBTQ+ older people and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBTQ+ organizations.
Title: Executive Assistant to the Executive Vice President and External Affairs
Department: External Affairs
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Job Location: Headquarters, New York City. This position is a hybrid position with the option of up to two days of remote work per week.
Salary Ranges: $62,661.86- $78,327.32
SAGE is the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer and/or questioning (LGBTQ+) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization as well as a local direct service provider in New York City that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBTQ+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBTQ+ older people and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBTQ+ organizations.
The Executive Assistant to the Executive Vice President is a high-level support position to SAGE’s Executive Vice President (EVP) and their teams. The Executive Vice President’s portfolio includes SAGE’s advocacy, communications, development, and national partnerships departments, oversight of the implementation of SAGE’s strategic plan, and supervision of the Executive Director of SAGE’s services department. This full-time position will manage all aspects of the EVP’s scheduling and travel logistics and support the EVP in administrative support. The Assistant supports the EVP’s external engagements and meetings, including meeting preparation, agenda creation, and capturing notes and action steps.
The candidate must possess outstanding interpersonal skills, as this is a forward-facing role working with external stakeholders and internal SAGE staff from all levels of the organization. The successful candidate must be extremely organized and able to prioritize and nimbly shift focus to work effectively and proactively. Successful candidates’ organization. Successful candidates must be forward-looking in anticipating needs or conflicts and consistently demonstrate sound judgment and discreteness when handling sensitive information. This position also requires professionalism, excellent writing, communication, and interpersonal skills, flexibility, initiative, and on to detail, confidentiality, and the ability to manage competing priorities. Commitment to SAGE’s mission is essential.
Key Responsibilities: The Executive Assistant to the Executive Vice President must possess a high degree of professionalism, tact, initiative, and diplomacy to
- Oversee and manage the EVP’s dynamic, ever-changing schedule, coordinating and confirming meetings and appointments, and handling logistics (restaurant reservations, conference room reservations, travel logistics and directions, verifying virtual meeting links and instructions, etc.)
- Support the EVP’s preparation for and participation in meetings, including creating materials, agendas, material gathering, and follow-up action steps to maximize the EVP’s impact.
- Ensure other SAGE staff participating in the meetings and engagements are aware of and prepared for the meetings and engagements.
- Capture notes and action steps stemming from external meetings in SAGE’s Salesforce database system; track, manage and follow up on external meetings and relationships to maximize the benefits of these activities to SAGE and its mission
- Meet regularly with the EVP to review upcoming schedules and CEO’s a follow-up/to-do tasks, establish reminders for additional tasks, and discuss upcoming scheduling
- Book and coordinate travel arrangements for the EVP and produce itineraries with detailed travel instructions; and, upon request, book travel for other team members
- Compose and prepare correspondence for the EVP, on occasion
- Facilitate the EVP’s review and signing of contracts, agreements, and other items requiring EVP signature or approval
- Refine and manage the EVP’s team’s process for collaborative work, including regular reports, and send reminders to ensure the teams meet deadlines.
- Manage the EVP’s expenses and other leaders in the team; as part of this work, manage and track vendor invoices, reimbursements, and payments to ensure compliance with SAGE’s finance policies
- Develop and keep up-to-date EVP contacts, their affiliations, and contact information
- Conduct research and work on other special projects for the EVP and the team as needed
- Facilitate the work of the EVP and their team by providing administrative support including, but not limited to, screening calls, photocopying, mailings, and filing
- Ensure the EVP has all meeting materials sufficiently ahead of time to prepare for meetings and engagements, both internal and external.
- Ensure other SAGE staff participating in the EVP external meetings and engagements are aware of and prepared for the meetings and engagements.
- A Bachelor’s degree (substantial work experience may be substituted), plus a minimum of five years of experience working with and supporting the operations of an Executive Officer
- A strong and natural collaborator, instinctively sharing information with those who need it and seeking to understand the needs of colleagues in other departments and organizations and to cooperate effectively with them.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work and to nimbly adapt to emerging tasks and issues needing attention
- Skilled at managing a dynamic calendar with a high volume of existing and emerging meetings
- Ability to be forward-looking to anticipate needs or identify conflicts
- A high standard of work and a conscientious approach to work with the ability to meet tight deadlines, anticipate needs, and be proactive in resolving issues
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, juggle multiple tasks, and manage time effectively
- Experience liaising with high-level stakeholders, including Board members, Executive-level staff, funders, and decision-makers
- Ability to interact respectfully with LGBTQ+ older people and interface easily with other SAGE stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong commitment to SAGE’s mission
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), mainly Microsoft Outlook’s calendar functions, and Virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams, and other third-party applications), while also quickly learning processes specific to the department
- Knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple diverse projects simultaneously; must be flexible and able to prioritize appropriately
- High level of attention to accuracy, detail, organization, and follow-through
- Strategic, analytical, and operational thinker; creative problem-solver
- High level of professional, personal judgment and discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and diplomacy skills with internal and external stakeholders?
How to Apply: Please click here to begin the application process. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.