Department: Executive Office
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Job Location: Midtown, NY or remote
SAGE is the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT+) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBT+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBT+ older people, and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBT+ organizations, largely through its National Resource Center on LGBT Aging and its growing social enterprise SAGECare. SAGE has staff in ten states and the District of Columbia and coordinates a growing network of 30 SAGE affiliates in 22 states and Puerto Rico.
Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, this full-time position will manage all aspects of the CEO’s complex schedule coordination and travel logistics, assist in CEO email management, and support the CEO and Chief of Staff in administrative tasks. The ideal candidate has the ability to work effectively and proactively in a dynamic, fast-paced executive suite. The Executive Assistant to the CEO must possess outstanding interpersonal skills as this is a forward-facing role, and demonstrate sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive matters. The Executive Assistant to the CEO must be able to focus on detail without losing sight of the bigger picture, including monitoring and double-checking work and information for accuracy and quality. The Executive Assistant to the CEO partners with the CEO Engagement Manager, who manages the CEO’s external engagements and email inbox among other responsibilities.
The Executive Assistant to the CEO will be expected to quickly become knowledgeable about all facets of the role and the organization at large. They must possess a high degree of professionalism, tact, initiative, and diplomacy, to
- Oversee and manage the CEO’s complex schedule, coordinating and confirming meetings and appointments, and handling logistics (restaurant reservations, conference room reservations, travel directions, verifying virtual meeting links and instructions, etc.)
- In coordination with the CEO Engagement Manager, reschedule meetings or appointments, as needed, to prioritize external communications needing focus and attention of CEO; using discretion to divert matters better directed to another department or staff member
- Arrange effective and efficient travel arrangements for the CEO (transportation, hotels, reimbursement documentation)
- The Executive Assistant to the CEO will review and process emails arriving to the CEO’s other email folders, i.e. cc, clutter, and junk folders. In coordination with the CEO Engagement Manager, develop enhanced email management approaches and systems for the CEO.
- Meet regularly with the CEO to review upcoming schedule and CEO’s follow up/to do tasks, establish reminders for additional tasks and discuss upcoming scheduling and travel items
- Schedule other SAGE staff participation in the CEO’s external meetings and engagements as appropriate and in coordination with the CEO Engagement Manager.
- Coordinate Executive Team scheduling with the support staff assigned to Executive Team members
- Provide guidance to Executive Team members on scheduling matters that require feedback from the CEO; use discretion in diverting matters not requiring the CEOs involvement
- Compile and submit CEO expense reports
- Prepare check requests and process other paperwork as needed
- Develop and keep up to date a database of the CEO’s contacts, their affiliations, and contact information as well as e-lists for CEO communications. Generate and keep up-to-date relevant listservs for CEO outreach based on these contacts.
- Conduct research and work on other special projects for the CEO as needed
- As necessary, facilitate the work of the Executive Office, perform general administrative duties, including, but not limited to, screening calls, photocopying, mailings, and filing
- A Bachelor’s degree (substantial work experience may be substituted), plus a minimum of five years of experience working with and supporting the operations of an Executive Officer
- Skilled at coordinating high-volume complex meeting and travel arrangements
- Experience managing the email of an Executive Officer is a plus
- Ability to proactively anticipate needs and adjust processes and plans based on changing circumstances
- A high standard of work and a conscientious approach to work with the ability to meet tight deadlines, anticipate needs, and be proactive to resolve issues
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, juggle multiple tasks, organize time effectively
- Experience liaising with high-level stakeholders, including the board of directors, Executive Team members, funders and decision-makers
- Ability to interact respectfully with LGBT older adults and interface easily with other SAGE constituents and stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong commitment to SAGE’s mission
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in MS office suite, especially Microsoft Outlook’s calendar functions and Virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams, and other third-party applications), while also quickly learning processes specific to the department
Compensation: Salary DOE. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
SAGE believes in equal opportunity in employment. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, HIV serostatus, sexual orientation, veteran status, height, weight or disability.