The Development Associate is responsible for maintaining the department’s donor database and processing and acknowledging all donations, in addition to providing administrative and operational support to the Development Department. Assists with all Development functions and activities including and not limited to direct mail, membership programs, major donor program, institutional partnerships, and special events.
Position Title: Development Associate
Department: Development/External Affairs
Reports to: Senior Manager of Individual Giving and Database Development
Location: SAGE Headquarters in Midtown Manhattan; Temporarily Remote
Position Type: Full-time
Status: Full- time; Nonexempt
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Update and maintain accuracy of all records in Salesforce, pertaining to Development Department functions, including and not limited to major gifts, institutional gifts, individual contributions, donor communication preferences, and any and all other data to be maintained by Development
- Update and maintain other electronic and non-electronic files and storage
- Perform all gift processing, including gifts received online, through ACH, and through the mail, ensuring complete and accurate coding based on the specificity of the gift
- Build and run reports and related lists in Salesforce to support Development team and job functions
- Generate and deliver accurate financial reports to members of the Executive, Development, and Finance team on a daily basis
- Respond to phone and email inquiries from donors and supporters. Update database according to their requests and preferences
- Assist with donor research and outreach, including potential new individual, corporate, or foundation support
- Track pledged gifts and generate and deliver invoices for payment
- Generate, review, and deliver acknowledgement letters to donors via mail and email
- Draft updated language for acknowledgement and other donor communications on a quarterly basis, or as needed
- Coordinate the compilation and mailing of in-house appeals, including and not limited to volunteer recruitment, preparing postage and ordering supplies as needed
- Create and update Development calendar including weekly e-blasts, events, hard mailings, membership renewal letters, etc.
- Serve as primary contact/steward for SAGE Members through inquiry responses and assistance with Member-related issues; lead quarterly renewal efforts
- Assist in the planning and execution of small major donor events around the country, additional to stewardship activities, such as mailings, invitations, and program updates
- Coordinate and provide guidance to volunteers during SAGE Center dinner service, special events, or as needed
- Assist with special event preparation, logistics, and guest registration for SAGE events nationwide
- Other duties, as assigned by the Senior Manager of Individual Giving and Database Development or the Senior Director of Development
Qualifications: (required credentials, experience, skills, knowledge, abilities and characteristics)
- Bachelor’s degree or demonstrated proficiency in core position functions from similar salaried experience or Associate degree preferred and/or 2 years of prior database and 2-3 years of Development experience
- Strong Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, or similar database system experience, or demonstrated ability to learn such systems
- Strong attention to detail, able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Willing to learn and be a part of all Development divisions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel required; PowerPoint also preferred
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM, to be adjusted in accordance with business necessity
Physical Requirements: May be required to carry boxes or similar office materials for mailings, events, etc. of approximately 10-20 pounds; may be required to sit or stand for extended periods depending on activity; may be required to travel within or outside of NY Metropolitan Area depending on need to attend SAGE or related events
Compensation: Competitive salary. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Development Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
SAGE believes in equal opportunity in employment. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, HIV serostatus, sexual orientation, veteran or military discharge status, height, weight, or disability, and any other status protected by law.