Reports to: Senior Director of Communications
Location: SAGE National Headquarters in Midtown Manhattan
Status: Full-time / Nonexempt
Schedule: Generally 9:30–5:30, Monday–Friday; schedule may vary in accordance with business necessity
The Communications and Advocacy Manager is an experienced communications professional, excellent writer, thorough editor, and nimble employee who can move quickly from task to task. A strong candidate must demonstrate the ability to create rapid-response communications reacting to an ever-changing news cycle and have strong knowledge of policy and/or advocacy issues that affect the LGBT community. The candidate must also effectively utilize different messaging in SAGE’s various forms of communication, as well as have the ability to manage different projects throughout the year. The Communications and Advocacy Manager will have experience in dealing with online, print, and broadcast media, as well as advocacy communications. SAGE is looking to complete our dynamic team with someone who is a social justice warrior with a positive attitude, team-oriented approach, and great sense of humor who is looking to be part of a close-knit, fast-paced nonprofit community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches, writes, and edits a diverse range of advocacy and communications materials, including op-eds, letters to editors, annual reports, news releases, social media posts, brochures, talking points, speeches, long-form reports, infographics, and backgrounders.
- Writes and edits with speed and polish despite quick turnarounds.
- Maintains a spokespeople database and continually works to train spokespeople on messaging; makes interview requests based on media interest.
- Responds to media requests in a timely fashion.
- Monitors the media to identify opportunities to insert SAGE into the news cycle; builds and maintains press lists that demonstrate a strong understanding of the reporters and outlets covering SAGE’s issues.
- Attends media events, interviews and/or press conferences, as needed.
- Works with Senior Director of Communications to coordinate targeted messaging efforts and advocacy campaigns around various SAGE initiatives.
- Evaluates and reports on effectiveness of communications strategies and recommends changes or improvements.
- Works strategically and collaboratively with other SAGE departments, including its national affiliates, to ensure consistent and proactive messaging to diverse audiences.
- Works with the Communications Team to create and integrate SAGE messaging across multiple media vehicles while continuing to search for new types of mediums helpful to SAGE.
- Provides support to departments across the organization in ensuring consistency of messaging and brand voice.
- Additional tasks as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent writer and editor who is able to absorb and distill complex concepts into easily digestible content for press releases, social media posts, blog content, long-form reports, email campaigns, and more.
- Multi-tasks easily and has the ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment while paying close attention to detail.
- Strong record of accomplishment of building lasting relationships, both with influencers in the media and with work colleagues.
- Understands organizing and advocacy communications, including online media campaigning, and local, state, or national politics
- Proven ability to create personalized, effective media pitches for various platforms.
- Proficient in all stages of content creation, from ideation and research to writing, editing, and execution.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, and passionate about improving the lives of LGBT older people.
Education and Experience:
- Demonstrated and sufficient similar salaried experience, preferably in public relations, public affairs, media relations, journalism, political campaigns or a related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree or additional comparable work experience.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office products.
Additional Qualifications, Preferred but not Required:
- Experience with Adobe Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator or related software and/or other technical tools of the trade that would benefit the department.
- Strong grasp of LGBT issues.
- Proficiency with content management systems such as WordPress.
- Spanish speaker/writer.
Compensation: SAGE offers a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: For consideration, please forward your resume to our recruitment consultant at DRenella@donnarenella.com. All candidates who meet the requirements listed will receive a response within two weeks.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.