SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBTQ+) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization as well as a local direct service provider in New York City, that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBTQ+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBTQ+ older people and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBTQ+ organizations. The Care Management Housing Specialist assists and provides services to our Participants and Clients, as described below:
Position Title: Communications and Advocacy Associate
Department: Communications Department
Supervisor Title: Senior Director of Marketing & Communications
Location: New York, NY
Reporting to the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications, the full-time Communications and Advocacy Associate will be an experienced communications professional, excellent writer, thorough editor, and nimble employee who can move quickly from task to task. A strong candidate must demonstrate the ability to create rapid-response communications reacting to an ever-changing news cycle and have strong knowledge of policy and/or advocacy issues that affect the LGBTQ+ community. The candidate must also effectively utilize different messaging in SAGE’s various forms of communication, as well as have the ability to manage different projects throughout the year. The Communications and Advocacy Associate will have experience in dealing with online, print, and broadcast media, as well as advocacy communications. SAGE is looking to complete our dynamic team with someone who is a social justice warrior with a positive attitude, team-oriented approach, and great sense of humor who is looking to be part of a close-knit, fast-paced nonprofit community.
- Researches, writes, and edits a diverse range of communications and advocacy materials, including op-eds, annual reports, emails, news releases, blog posts, talking points, monthly newsletter, quotes, reports, infographics, backgrounders, and other pieces, as needed.
- Trains spokespeople and maintains a spokespeople database in order to showcase their stories and SAGE’s mission in the media.
- Works with consultants on a variety of different projects. This will include, but is not limited to, SAGE’s PR firm, designers, writers, and other consultants.
- Responds to media requests in a timely fashion – both via direct requests and with our PR firm.
- Monitors the media to identify opportunities to insert SAGE into the news cycle; builds and maintains press lists that demonstrate a strong understanding of the reporters and outlets covering SAGE’s issues.
- Works with Communications and Advocacy teams to coordinate targeted messaging efforts and advocacy campaigns around various SAGE initiatives.
- Works strategically and collaboratively with other SAGE departments to ensure consistent and proactive messaging to diverse audiences.
- Additional tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Excellent writer and editor who is able to absorb and distill complex concepts into easily digestible content. Can write and edit with speed and polish despite quick turnarounds.
- Multi-tasks easily and has the ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment while paying close attention to detail.
- Strong track record of building lasting relationships, both with influencers in the media, with work colleagues and SAGE spokespeople.
- Understands organizing and advocacy communications, including online media campaigning, and local, state, or national politics.
- Proven ability to create personalized, effective media pitches for various platforms.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, and passionate about improving the lives of LGBTQ+ older people.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree and/or comparable work experience, preferably in public relations, public affairs, media relations, journalism, political campaigns or a related field.
- Has 2+ years of work experience, preferably in public relations, public affairs, media relations, journalism, political campaigns or a related field.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office products.
- Experience with Adobe Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator or related software and/or other technical tools of the trade that would benefit the department.
- Strong grasp of LGBTQ+ issues.
- Proficiency with systems such as WordPress, Salesforce, Salsa Labs, etc.
- Spanish speaker/writer.
Salary depends on experience. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please click here to begin the application process. Contact email@example.com if you have any questions
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.