Department: Executive Office
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Location: Midtown, NY or remote in NYC area with the ability to come into the office as needed
SAGE is the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT+) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBT+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBT+ older people, and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBT+ organizations, largely through its National Resource Center on LGBT Aging and its growing social enterprise SAGECare. SAGE has staff in ten states and the District of Columbia and coordinates a growing network of 30 SAGE affiliates in 22 states and Puerto Rico.
Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, the top priority of this full-time position is to support and maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of the CEO’s engagement and time commitments, especially externally, in fulfillment of SAGE’s mission and vision. The CEO Engagement Manager (CEM) provides support for the CEO’s engagements including speaking engagements, conferences, donor and other stakeholder outreach and meetings. This support is provided throughout the entire relationship/event life cycle from pre-meeting/event research and preparation to event promotion as appropriate to post-meeting/event notes and follow-up, both internal and external, and ongoing engagement in order to enhance the impact of the CEO’s external efforts and more efficiently utilize CEO’s time. The CEM will review SAGE policy briefs, research reports, and other materials to help craft the CEO’s presentations and talking points. The CEM conducts ongoing research on new and existing stakeholders to ensure a healthy pipeline of prospective leads for outreach and cultivation. The CEM screens and triages the CEO’s email inbox with a particular focus on external emails and ensures all emails are properly addressed. CEM monitors the CEO’s other communications platforms such as Teams and manages the CEO’s LinkedIn account. The CEM helps coordinate the CEO’s public engagement efforts on social media platforms (e.g. Twitter, blogosphere); depending on skillset and bandwidth, the CEM may assist in the creation of content for these platforms.
The ideal candidate has the ability to work effectively and proactively in a dynamic, fast-paced executive suite. The CEM must possess outstanding interpersonal and communication skills as this is a forward-facing role, and demonstrate sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive matters. They must be able to focus on detail without losing sight of the bigger picture, including monitoring and double-checking work and information for accuracy and quality. The CEM’s responsibilities are performed with a high degree of discretion and independence in supporting the CEO’s external engagements. Email management is done with an eye towards funneling lower-level decisions and email follow-up away from the CEO and allowing the CEO to focus on the highest impact internal and external tasks and decisions. The position is a strategic and facilitative one that requires a combination of focus and flexibility. The CEM partners with the Executive Assistant to the CEO, who manages the CEO’s complex schedule and travel arrangements among other responsibilities.
Areas of Authority/Key Communication and Consulting Responsibilities
The CEM role at SAGE is a mostly external-facing role. They have decision-making authority on matters within their purview as described below. The CEM is responsible for keeping the CEO and COS well-informed about decisions and consulting with the CEO and COS regularly on matters of significance.
The CEM is charged with maximizing the effectiveness of the CEO and meeting the following objectives:
- In coordination with the Executive Assistant to the CEO, manage the CEO’s external meetings with the objective of maximizing the CEO’s focus on highest impact tasks and decisions by funneling lower level decisions and activities away where possible and appropriate.
- Enhanced meeting prep including preparation of materials, agenda-setting, material gathering, and follow-up to maximize CEO’s impact.
- Ensure other SAGE staff participating in the CEO’s external meetings and engagements are aware of and prepared for the meetings and engagements.
- Collect and distribute as appropriate notes on the external meetings including the posting of donor notes in Salesforce.
- Prepare CEO for external speaking engagements at conferences, symposiums, donor events, and other occasions, including among other tasks the drafting and creation of PowerPoints and other presentation materials, and arrange suitable promotion of these appearances.
- Track, manage, and follow up on external meetings and relationships with an eye towards maximizing the benefits of these activities to SAGE and its mission.
- Support the CEO on internal meetings with agenda setting, material gathering, and follow up to ensure efficient use of the CEO’s time
- Ensure the CEO has all meeting materials sufficiently ahead of time to prepare for meetings and engagements, both internal and external.
- In coordination with the COS, ensures efficient operation of Executive Team and Executive Team/Senior Director meetings and related activities through thorough preparation, organization, documentation, and next step management.
- Assist and staff the CEO with particularly complex internal meetings.
- Free up the CEO’s time by identifying opportunities for the COS and other SAGE staff (including the CEM, where appropriate) to perform the role of external ambassador for SAGE, by taking the place of the CEO at certain meetings, covering speaking assignments for SAGE where appropriate and serving as a senior representative of SAGE when needed;
- Allow the CEO to focus on the most appropriate electronic communications by screening and triaging the CEO’s main email inbox, forwarding and responding to emails as appropriate. In coordination with the Executive Assistant to the CEO, develop enhanced email management approaches and systems for the CEO.
- Monitor other communications platforms for the CEO such as Teams and conference platforms.
- Funnel information to the CEO’s Executive Assistant to update the database of the CEO’s contacts, their affiliations, and contact information, as well as e-lists for CEO communications.
- Manage the CEO’s LinkedIn account.
- Conduct research and work on other special projects for the CEO as needed
- A Bachelor’s degree (substantial relevant work experience may be substituted), plus a minimum of three years of experience working with and supporting the operations of an Executive Officer; Communications or public affairs experience a plus
- Skilled at coordinating a high volume of meetings and speaking engagements
- Ability to proactively anticipate needs and adjust processes and plans based on changing circumstances
- A high standard of work and a conscientious approach to work with the ability to meet tight deadlines, anticipate needs, and be proactive to resolve issues
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, juggle multiple tasks, organize time effectively
- Experience liaising with high-level stakeholders, including Board of Directors, Executive Team members, funders and decision-makers
- Ability to interact respectfully with LGBT older adults and interface easily with other SAGE constituents and stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong commitment to SAGE’s mission
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), Outlook, and Virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams, and other third-party applications) – and ability to learn new systems that may be appropriate to this position.
- Extensive knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency with PowerPoint and other presentation software
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple diverse projects simultaneously; must be flexible and able to prioritize appropriately
- High level of attention to accuracy, detail, organization, and follow-through
- Strategic, analytical, and operational thinker; creative problem-solver
- High level of professional, personal judgment and discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and diplomacy skills with internal and external stakeholders
- A strong and natural collaborator, instinctively sharing information with those who need it and seeking to understand the needs of colleagues in other departments and organizations and to cooperate effectively with them
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in MS office suite, especially Microsoft Outlook’s calendar functions and Virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams, and other third-party applications), while also quickly learning processes specific to the department
- Bilingual in Spanish, a plus
Compensation: Salary DOE. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “CEO Engagement Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
SAGE believes in equal opportunity in employment. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, HIV serostatus, sexual orientation, veteran status, height, weight or disability.