SAGE is the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBT older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBT older people and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBT organizations.
Reports to: Director of Resident Services, NYC Housing
Status: Full-time, Nonexempt
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide case management, information, referrals, and advocacy to older adults; perform intakes/assessments under the review of a Licensed Social Worker home visits and provide case management to SAGE constituents.
- Conduct benefit and entitlement eligibility assessments, assist clients with public benefits applications, as well as other entitlement programs and opportunities.
- Conduct group workshops, programs, and support groups as needed.
- Collect and enter all participant and service unit data in database(s) thoroughly and timely, in accord with organizational policies and regulatory mandates.
- Perform tabling and other outreach at neighborhood events.
- Assess older adult needs and developing care plan strategies.
- Provide support and resources, maintain good relationships with external providers, and develop linkages to community resources.
- Research and referrals based on the care plan goals.
- Assist with benefits, such as Access A Ride, Visiting Nurse Services, and Meals on Wheels.
- Respond to crisis situations; develop follow up report details and recommendations.
- Communicate with family members and other stakeholders involved in the older adults’ care plan services.
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- B.A. in social work or a related field, or four (4) years of similar salaried experience, in job role and/or population served.
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexible and dependable; this position requires some flexibility around scheduling; some evening or occasional weekend hours may be required.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to organize files, schedules, dates, and information.
- Self-directed and able to work with light supervision.
- Computer-literate, with knowledge of Microsoft Office, and ability to learn other pertinent software systems.
- Willingness/ability to travel daily throughout NYC area via public transportation.
- Familiarity with LGBT aging issues, as well as cultural and linguistic competency regarding age, ability, sexuality, gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, class, and other characteristics that affect the lives of diverse older adults.
- Familiarity with social and aging services networks and supports.
- Ability to speak or write in Spanish.
Location: Position is based at SAGE Ingersoll program in Brooklyn; travel between the above and other locations within the metropolitan area is required, in accordance with participants’ needs and program necessity.
Compensation: Competitive salary; SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Case Manager – Ingersoll Residence” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.