SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBTQ+) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization as well as a local direct service provider in New York City, that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBTQ+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBTQ+ older people and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBTQ+ organizations. The Case Manager assists and provides services to our Participants and Clients, as described below:
Reports to: Director of Care Management/ Assistant Director of Care Management
Status: Full-time / Nonexempt
Location: In accordance with the programs or locations assigned, plus occasional travel to various SAGE and other locations within the NYC metropolitan area.
Schedule: Full-time, 35 hours/week, Monday – Friday. Occasional schedule adjustments may also be necessary, per program necessity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Open cases and provide case management, information, referrals, and advocacy to SAGE clients and participants, including other individuals as assigned
- Perform new client and participant intakes, including administration of mental health screenings
- Conduct home visits as needed
- Perform phone rotation duty and screen new prospective clients over the phone
- Respond to walk-ins and provide a presence and back-up to participants and staff in the SAGE Centers, responding to issues as they may arise with participants
- Open cases and assess needs, including developing care plan strategies
- Conduct benefit and entitlement eligibility assessments, and assist clients with public benefits applications and other entitlement programs and opportunities
- Organize and/or lead presentations as needed
- Lead or co-lead support groups or other group activities
- Liaise with the volunteer benefits counselors and financial coach providing support to clients
- Collect and enter all client/participant service unit data and client notes in database(s) thoroughly and in a timely manner (by the end of each day), in accordance with organizational policies and regulatory mandates, as well as fulfilling all other reporting requirements
- Prepare for and be on-hand for site visits and program audits with contract program officers
- Develop good relationships with external providers to enable linkages with other community resources
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned
- Fluent in Spanish
- A. in social work or a related field, or sufficient salaried experience in a care management job role and/or with LGBTQ+ older adults
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and dependable – this position requires a seven hour work day, with an additional one hour for lunch; some occasional evening or weekend hours may be required with advance notice
- Ability to work independently as well as be an involved member of the Care Management and SAGE Center teams
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to organize files, reports, schedules, dates and information
- Self-directed and able to work with light supervision
- Computer literate, with knowledge of Microsoft Office and ability to learn other pertinent software systems and data bases
- Ability to travel throughout NYC via public transportation
- Familiarity with LGBTQ+ culture and communities
- Experience working with aging populations and the public benefits associated with them
- Experience working with veterans and the benefits associated with them
- Familiarity with issues of cultural and linguistic competency with regards to ability, race, ethnicity, class, sexuality, gender identity and expression, and other characteristics that affect the lives of diverse older adults
- Familiarity with social, medical, aging and veteran services networks and supports
Compensation: Competitive salary; SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please click here to begin the application process. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Thanks.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.