SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBTQ+) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization as well as a local direct service provider in New York City, that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBTQ+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBTQ+ older people and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBTQ+ organizations. The Care Management Benefits Specialist assists and provides services to our Participants and Clients, as described below:
Reports to: Director of Care Management
Status: Full-time / Nonexempt
Location: In accordance with the program needs, plus occasional travel to various SAGE and other locations within the NYC metropolitan area.
Schedule: Full-time, 35 hours/week, Monday – Friday. Occasional schedule adjustments may also be necessary, per program necessity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist clients with information and referrals, comprehensive intake and assessment of needs, benefits eligibility screening, and appropriate follow-up
- Conduct a full benefits eligibility review and benefits assistance/counseling; explain eligibility rules, assist with applications, enrollment and/or recertification, and assist with the appeal process. Benefits counseling includes but is not limited to:
- Public Assistance
- Medicare, Medicare Savings, Medicare RX
- Food Stamps/SNAP benefits
- Social Security, SSI/SSDI
- Access-A-Ride applications
- Ensure all client data is current and accurate, and that they are documented in a timely manner into databases
- Ensure confidentiality and HIPAA compliance is maintained for all clients
- Correspond with Care Managers to ensure full spectrum of services are delivered
- Conduct home visits to homebound older adults in need of benefits assistance
- Develop good relationships with external providers to enable linkages with resources
- Lead informational presentations to clients on various benefits topics, including application processes
- Quickly, professionally, and accurate handle all incoming questions and issues, both by phone and email
- Perform other program-related duties as assigned.
- Bilingual in Spanish; Applicant must be fluent and able to complete documents in Spanish.
- A. or MSW in social work or a related field, and sufficient salaried experience in a benefits assistance role
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and dependable – this position requires a seven hour work day, with an additional one hour for lunch; some occasional evening or weekend hours may be required with advance notice
- Ability to work independently as well as be an involved member of the Care Management and SAGE Center teams
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to organize files, schedules, dates and information
- Self-directed and able to work with light supervision
- Computer literate, with knowledge of Microsoft Office and ability to learn other pertinent software systems and data bases
- Ability to travel throughout NYC via public transportation
- Familiarity with LGBTQ+ culture and communities
- Experience working with aging populations and the public benefits associated with them
- Experience working with veterans and the benefits associated with them
- Familiarity with issues of cultural and linguistic competency with regards to ability, race, ethnicity, class, sexuality, gender identity and expression, and other characteristics that affect the lives of diverse older adults
- Familiarity with social, medical, aging and veteran services networks and supports
Compensation: Competitive salary; SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply: Please click here to begin the application process. Contact email@example.com if you have any questions
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.