SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT+) older people. In partnership with its constituents and allies, SAGE works to achieve a high quality of life for LGBT+ older people, supports and advocates for their rights, fosters a greater understanding of aging in all communities, and promotes positive images of LGBT+ life in later years. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE has worked tirelessly for over 40 years on behalf of LGBT+ older people. Building off the momentum of the Stonewall uprising and the emerging LGBT+ civil rights movement, a group of activists came together to ensure that LGBT+ older people could age with respect and dignity. SAGE formed a network of support for LGBT+ elders that’s still going and growing today. SAGE is more than just an organization. It is a movement of loving, caring activists dedicated to providing advocacy, services, and support to older members of the LGBT+ community.
Drive and provide support to the operations of the Finance Department, facilitating the ability of it and the Director of Finance to ensure a proper fiscal infrastructure to support SAGE’s programs and departments. Maintain fiscal integrity, adhering to and reinforcing new and existing processes, with regulatory and Agency standards. Provide guidance to streamline current systems, leverage new information technology, and establish standard operating procedures that provide maximum benefit to all parties involved. Support the Director’s leadership of the day-to-day operations of the Finance Department, including and not limited to budget development and analysis, accounting for investments, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, month-end close, payroll, relationship management with banks, and other vendors, and audit preparation. Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders and provide other guidance/support as needed.
Reports to: Director of Finance
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: SAGE’s National Headquarters in New York, NY
Schedule: Generally 35 hours/week 9:30 – 5:30, Monday – Friday; with schedule adjustments as needed per business necessity
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Director of Finance in day-to-day Finance operations, including and not limited to coordinating month-end closing activities, general ledger review, reconciliations, and researching technical accounting matters
- Conduct general accounting and reporting for the Agency
- Supervise and ensure proper governance of daily accounting operations ensuring compliance with SOPs, GAAP, and all regulations and policies.
- Ensure proper and timely closings, revenue and other reconciliations, and an audit-ready status of agency financials
- Analyze and reconcile all general ledger accounts, journal entries, bank statements, and other records, to ensure financial information is readily available and accurate
- Review and interpret financial statements and reports to ensure accurate and timely information is available for management
- Assist CFAO, Director of Finance, and other stakeholders in the compilation and preparation of the annual budget, forecasts, taxes, and other financial matters
- Train, monitor and coordinate the implementation and maintenance of financial and cash controls and information flow throughout SAGE
- Resolve problems and ensure maintenance of the accounting systems and equipment to ensure smooth operations
- Establish, implement, and enforce policies and procedures pertaining to company-issued credit cards. Directly responsible for reconciling credit card activity against statement and expense reports submitted by employees ensuring proper documentation and approval for all transactions.
- Train and provide task supervision to Staff Accountant; monitor Payroll and A/P for timeliness and accuracy and discuss pertinent matters with Director of Finance.
- Serve as back-up for duties of other positions within Finance Department, including and not limited to Grants/Contracts/ Manager and Staff Accountant
- Provide other expertise and support within Finance Department and across SAGE as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in understanding the analytic framework for driving organizational change within established procedures and standards; ability to anticipate the infrastructure and systems needs in a complex, national, multi-site nonprofit with multiple funding streams
- Exceptional project and task management skills
- Recognized success in developing and monitoring systems to manage both internal operations and programmatic work that involve high levels of collaboration
- An accessible, visible, and flexible management style that inspires trust and confidence in staff to work diligently and well together
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills that support and enable sound decision making in a complex organization; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Direct and concise communication skills. Active listener. Ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers; including and not limited to the relationship between program census/performance and revenue
- Technology-savvy, with the ability to manage data for financial reporting quickly and effectively
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Accounting or related field
- Demonstrated nonprofit finance experience with a successful track record in a similar role
- Fluency in MS Excel plus ability to learn Intacct, Salesforce, or other pertinent software
- Commitment to SAGE’s Mission
How to Apply: Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com with “Accounting Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.