SAGE Rhode Island
1 Virginia Avenue
Providence, RI 02905
1 Virginia Avenue, Suite 102
Providence, RI 02905
Visit Web Site
Programs & Services
Training & educational programs for healthcare providers
Social & community events, including monthly LGBT Café
Annual LGBT health fair, presence at RI Pride Festival, health conferences, workshops, panel discussions and fairs
The mission of SAGE/RI is to serve as a leader in identifying, addressing and bringing attention to issues related to aging among members of the LGBT community; to partner with constituents, allies and other stakeholders to create a culture in which older LGBT members of the community can enjoy a high quality of life; to support aging members of the community and advocate for their rights; to foster a greater understanding of LGBT aging; and to promote positive images of LGBT life in later years.
Originally incorporated in 1997, SAGE Rhode Island began as an intergenerational and culturally diverse social organization whose goal was to meet the unique needs of elder lesbians and gay men by providing opportunities to explore issues that affect their lives, socialize with others and participate in high-quality programming. In 2005, SAGE Rhode Island conducted a significant needs assessment, called “Meet the Older Neighbor,” which helped to name and address the needs of the LGBT elder community in Rhode Island. It created a space within the community to define its own needs and consider the possible solutions.
SAGE Rhode Island seeks to become a leader in education influencing healthcare and academic communities. The group has organized educational events, workshops and social programs in support of the above stated mission. SAGE Rhode Island:
- Planned and implemented an Elder Summit that brought together community leaders to discuss the needs and solutions of the LGBT community.
- Continually develops partnerships with educational and healthcare communities,
- Provides educational programs at the request of providers and the RI LGBT community
- Has surveyed and reported on the attitudes of the Lesbian Elder community with regard to healthcare
- Has surveyed and reported on the attitudes of Rhode Island Healthcare providers with regard to lesbian healthcare
- Has influenced social change by creating resources and tools that can be used by the LGBT community as well as those who support the LGBT community.
Going forward, SAGE Rhode Island is committed to responding to the direct needs of its constituents, including the need for housing and homecare alternatives. SAGE Rhode Island will continue to work with hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare providers in an effort to create LGBT-friendly settings that recognize the unique needs of the community.